The Southwold Railway opened in 1879 and closed in 1929. It was a 3 foot narrow gauge line that linked Southwold and the sea with Halesworth on the main Great Eastern line 9 miles away. It wound through gentle, but very beautiful countryside following the River Blyth with three intermediate stations at Wenhaston, Blythburgh and Walberswick.
The SR Trust is dedicated to preserving the memory of this special little railway and re-opening as much of the old route as we can.
Southwold Railway Tours are available on selected days in July and August. Travel in style in our 1950s coach “Olive” through the scenic Blyth valley, exploring surviving parts of the track bed, visiting the station sites along the route and concluding with a nostalgic look at old film of the line in Southwold’s world famous “Electric Picture Palace”